22 October 2009

Over the Top


No, I'm not referring to anything in particular and not even about my own behaviour which has been criticised for being 'over the top' in the past!!!!

I'm referring to a join.  You see when I did this pattern a few months ago I referred to an 'over the top join' (OTTJ).  Now I knew what I was talking about but I'm not sure that anybody else did!!!  It's the sort of join that 'old timers' like wot I am would 'fudge'.  So, I thought I'd better write it down. 

Before I show you I must also admit that a few 'gurus' in tat land that I've run it past haven't really understood what I'm 'getting at'!!! This is the reason that I've been lollygagging (wonderful American expression) about putting it out on my site.  

Anyway, I'd really appreciate it if you would take  the time to look at this and see if you can fathom what I'm rambling on about!!!  It has a limited 'raison d'etre' but it's still useful - well, I think so!!!!

7 comments:

Beelizabeth said...

It looks clear to me! Being a newbie I didn't think I'd even know where I might use it. then I remembered a butterfly somewhere I've done that this would work well for. Thanks for your efforts in writing it up.

Margie said...

Looks good and I understand how to do it, but I can't visualize where it would be used at. Am new to tatting, but will remember this!!

erin said...

JanieLoooooo! I think I may know an example of this. Check out The Priscilla Tatting Book #2. On Page 5 there is a description of working the latticework trim that is pictured on Page 7 (Figure 25), Page 8 (Figure 26) and Page 10 (Figure 30). The edging has a convoluted path and the tatter is required to tat parts of the chain where it passes over itself by pulling the working thread up through a previously constructed "hole". After the section of chain is completed, the carrier thread is pulled back out of the hole and into it's regular position and the pattern resumes. At least I *think* this is similar. I could still be needing more coffee, however. ;0)

Miranda said...

I had to read through it a couple of times, but I get it. It's useful when you have a previously made element, and you want to move from one side of it to the other. If you do a normal join, you will only be joining to one side of the picot or the other, and it will thus be ever so slightly lopsided. I've been frustrated by this myself a few times. The OTTJ allows you to join to the picot as a whole so that the join will be centered. I've really got to tat me up a third brain cell, so I can come up with ideas like this. Jane, you're a genius!

Maureen said...

I get it too - it's very clear with the drawings, thanks for showing this.

Imoshen said...

It was crystal clear to me. Then again because I hate cute and tieing my work I always look for ways of joining and climbing that keep the thread work continous. Thanks for graphing it out! I'm a visual learner and pictures make all the difference to me

Unknown said...

I promise to look at this when I am "in the mood" to think, LOL!

Creative Commons Licence

Happy Beaks

Happy Beaks
I beg your pardon? I didn't quite catch what you said.